Labels

20/08/2013

One To Watch: Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Summer is more or less drawing to a close and now comes the time to examining the latest batch of offerings from the US and see which ones we'll be procrastinating with. I haven't really done the extensive research that I usually do but I've heard snippets of things, but Brooklyn Nine-Nine I heard pretty much nothing about apart from the fact it starred Andy Samberg. Then I stumbled across the trailer and was mad at myself for not looking it up earlier.

                

Is it me or does it seem like a TV version of The Other Guys? I mean, I don't even like Will Ferrell and I loved that. I love the fact that theres a cop comedy on television, I may enjoy my serial dramas but you need something else to get away from that or life gets kinda depression you know? And I think theres a good play for a cop comedy on TV because it differs from all of the procedurals that are essentially the same and its light hearted fun so I'm not going to be thinking about the dangerous Blue Templar on Blue Bloods or capturing Wo Fat in Hawaii Five-o, I'll just be thinking about the jokes and how I'll tell them to my buddies. The fact that it has the creators of Parks And Recreation on board also helps its case, I never really got into the show but I caught the odd episode and found it thoroughly enjoyable and that's what I want in my sitcoms.


And also, the cast is INSANE! I love Andy Samberg, his digital shorts were the reason I watched Saturday Night Live. I'll even go as far as saying that the digital shorts were what made SNL relevant in the noughties, even when you have a bad host, terrible writing (which is quite frequent) you can always trust the digital short to have you in stitches. Its worth the waste of time just to get to those three minutes of heaven, and whenever there isn't one I pretty much used to go ape shit. So when Samberg and the rest of The Lonely Island crew left so did I. Also, bring Andre Braugher in to play the uptight captain? That was a stroke of bloody genius! I know him as the tough authoritarian, and watching him play it in a comedy will be marvellous, seriously the dude is the only reason I watched all the episodes of Last Resort and made me decide it wasn't a waste of time, his performances are enthralling. Joe Lo Truglio is one of the unsung heroes of comedy in recent years, it'll be incredibly hard to find a role that he's had in the past few years that wasn't enjoyable. I don't think I have to say much about Terry Crews, if you've watched him in Everybody Hates Chris you know that  the guy can do comedy.

I really have faith in this show and hope it does well because of the talent behind it and because comedies have been in decline recently. Seriously, when was the last hit comedy? Even New Girl has gone stale lately and I attempted watching Partners last season. It was atrocious.

I hope all your appendixes burst because of laughing so hard whilst watching the show, Live Long and Blog!

Related Posts

One Not To Watch: Bad Teacher
One To Watch: 12 Years A Slave
Yes, You Really Really Should Watch It: Brooklyn Nine-Nine
One To Watch: Sleepy Hollow

No comments:

Post a Comment