Labels

18/08/2013

NERDGASM ALERT: The Rant of A Fan-Boy

Small bit of news came out recently, it’s hardly worth mentioning to be honest, but as a contributor on this site I feel I should report any bit of information great or small and give my  own personal opinion on it. All teasing aside; the biggest and best possible news for me as a comic book fan was released at the annual Comic Con this summer. Superman will face Batman in what is surely going to be the closest contender to topping The Avengers in terms of scale and sheer fan-boy expectations. What makes this crossover particularly appealing is the fact that both respective film characters haven’t been ruined. Yet.


               
Personally as I was watching The Dark Knight Rises last year it was very hard to imagine another universe outside the one created by Christopher Nolan, such was the genius behind the characters and the story, it just felt that there was no other alternative option for any comic book film. Nothing could top it. When I heard this news I like many people got giddy with excitement, the prospect of Superman AND Batman slugging it out was impossible around 6 or 7 years back. But alas, here we are. I don’t like to pour praise on a single person too much, but rescuing Batman from the brink of oblivion after the Joel Schumacher “adventures”, and producing in my opinion the best Superman film since the very first, is nothing short of a miracle.  Man of Steel was fantastically acted, shot, you name it, it had it. It was the perfect way of showing that the character and the story still had life in it. Henry Cavill in particular impressed me as he seemed to fit naturally into the role, more so than his predecessor Brandon Routh in my opinion. This gives me hope for this cross-over film as I feel the benefit of a strong leading actor like Cavill can hold his own with the likes of the actor’s from the Batman universe.



One thought that crossed my mind was that the finality of The Dark Knight Rises was so great that it would seem a shame to bring him out of retirement so to speak. But this opportunity is too big to pass up, with the likes of Ryan Gosling rumoured to appear as Batman, this film could be DC’s comic big chance to reach the huge heights of The Avengers and create a franchise of their own. With the Justice League movie suspended indefinitely, mostly due to the horrible Green Lantern “movie” it seems DC has a guaranteed hit on their hands. I for one will be counting down the days until I see this film, overinflated prices and all. Let’s hope it’s a creative master-stroke and not a mad scramble for something that hasn’t been done before.
Live long and blog!         

No comments:

Post a Comment