Labels

14/08/2013

I'm Soppy, I Like Penelope

So I'm a massive fan of James McAvoy. I have been for years and I've pretty much watched everything he's been in and liked everything (not sure if it was him or the quality of the project)! One thing in his filmography that I was surprised to thoroughly enjoy was Penelope.


It's a fluffly little fairytale romance film, you know, the ones that usually make me puke. In short its about a girl with a pig nose who has to find love with a man of her status to become beautiful. I loved every minute of it. Christina Ricci is endearing, and the supporting actors were also amazing in their roles and seriously, I enjoyed watching a performance from Reese Witherspoon and I can't remember saying that in recent memory. And of course James McAvoy was a stand out within the film (would I say anything other than that?) I also loved the fact that it wasn't set in an actual location, they created their own location (so I couldn't bitch and moan about the goofs) and I thought it was beautiful.


It wasn't just the loveable cast and original setting that enthralled me, the actual storyline did too. I know, usually a romance film wouldn't appeal to me (please don't think of me now as a tween writer because of this and The Vampire Diaries post) but the film portrays Penelopes' (Ricci) and Maxs' (McAvoy) courtship as fun and sweet, not too heavy as you would expect from a film about a girl trying to get rid of her pig nose. It was moving, and although the original goal was for her to find love the moral of the story was for Penelope to love herself which I feel is touching. This is the type of film young girls should be watching, not the Twilight's of the World where the ultimate goal is for the teenage girl to please her Vampire boyfriend. This is a genuine feel good film, it made me feel good! It made me aspire to love myself just as Penelope did and to the girls of today I think you should watch it and take it on board. 

Sorry for being soppy again, but this had to be said. Live Long and Blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment