Labels

10/08/2013

I Admit It, I Watch The Vampire Diaries

I bitch about rubbish television and voice my annoyance about people that watch it, but i'm not attacking anyone because I do it too. I watch The Vampire Diaries. Go on, hurl abuse at me! I deserve it! 



Well, I read the books when I was younger, the key word being younger. I had great affection for it at the time, but I didn't revisit the books later in life, so the only memories I had in regards to the franchise was the affection at that point in time. Sure, I shouldn't have trusted it, I was like ten at the time. I wrote my own stories based on the characters for Christ's sake! I was immature. When the series was announced I had gotten to a period of my life where I was enthralled by anything by anything Supernatural/Fantasy, and I had gotten in deep to Lost so I was following Somerhalder. It was pretty much certain that I would be watching the show.



I will tell you something now, I hate love triangles. I hate it when shows/films rely on that to keep people intrigued, so I watched the show in spite of it. I watched for the main mystical arc, in fact I tended to fast forward through the teen angst mess of a triangle. I don't recall the triangle having so much focus put on it in the early seasons, it was all about the main arc. And the main characters were actually likeable but now, pardon my french, are whiney bitches. It probably wouldn't have annoyed me as much if we still had some of the main storyline but ever since Kevin Williamson left its pretty much been the love triangle full force. I hate it. Then I realised, they are eternally teenagers now, they will forever be immature, it won't change! It made me consider leaving, but I tend not to leave TV shows i've been watching for some reason. It's an annoying habit. Then came the announcement that the Diaries 'villain' would be getting his own spin off with his family so I figured I'd leave diaries behind and follow him over to New Orleans. I mean, they're adults so we'll see adult problems and there wouldn't be any of the angst right?


I watched the backdoor pilot, and yeesh. There will be a few spoilers ahead regarding the pilot episode so stop reading here if you don't want to know. I loved the character of Marcel and If they had left it as Witches vs. Vampires vs. Originals it could have been really amazing, which is why watching the episode pained me so much. But then, just, oh my god. The first episode and they've already hinted at a love triangle. A love triangle that would spread across BOTH shows. Did we really need to be introduced to another love interest in the opening episode? I knew it would happen at some point but how about focusing on the actual storyline first? Just a thought. And seriously, a hybrid baby? Because we haven't seen anything like that recently. Which was done poorly. For Gods sake. Angst, angst, angst. I wanted it to be more mature, I liked the idea of the character of Klaus being an antihero, and I liked the Witches vs. Vampires, but I don't think I can sit through the rest of the stuff they've come up with.

As of right now The Vampire Diaries and The Originals are on a probationary period for me. I'll give them my mandatory three episodes as I do with every other show I watch, and if the good outweighs the bad then I'll stick with it. Somehow I doubt it will.

Live Long and Blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment