Labels

23/07/2013

Supernatural Summoning A Spin-Off

Did you like my use of alliteration on that headline there? Well I'm over a week into this blogging thing and I figure I should be a little be more journalistic, so rather than being objective with my views I decided alliteration. Now to the point, Supernatural, now has a spin-off in the works!


I agree with you Dean, what? I've been a Supernatural fan since I caught an episode in the middle of season 3, then promptly decided to binge on all the previous episodes till I was caught up. It took me several days, and I've probably never been so tired in my entire life but I was hooked. I just could not get enough. I watched episodes over and over again and any free time I had I spent on the message boards with my peers. No one else understood my obsession but them, I was just deemed a weirdo. It's complex storylines and probably the best acting I've seen on American television, certainly the best on The CW, had me enthralled and all the ballsy writing always kept me coming back for more. Obviously there are likeminded people in the World as the show is about to start its ninth season, and although it lost it's way a little in season 6 and 7 (will still never forgive Sera Gamble) I feel that It's now back to form.


As Supernatural has a loyal fan base that has stayed with the show for 8 years it's no show that The CW would like the milk its most consistent performer for all it can for whoever long it has it. The lead actors, Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles, are only contracted till season 10 so the sad truth of the matter is that the show could possibly be ending shortly. The guy's both have young families now and 10 years in one job is a lot for anyone, so they might want to try different things and they have the talent to do so. Thinking it through the announcement of a spin-off series at comic con isn't really much of a shock. Why wouldn't The CW (a sinking ship) want to hold onto the fans of the show? They're doing it with The Vampire Diaries so why not try it with another one of their hottest properties?

We didn't get too much information out of Bob Singer (executive producer) but what we have found out is that there will be a new character introduced in episode 20 and they will play a significant part in the spin-off. Seeing as though thats all the information we have it gives me room to ponder, which is bad. Misha Collins (Castiel) is back as a series regular for season 9, is that because they're setting him up to go off to the spin-off? Lord knows that the man needs room to flex his acting muscles but I hope that this isn't how he does it, the fan's love Castiel, not only because of his bad assery and celestial dry cleaning, but because of his relationship with the Winchesters that anchors his humanity. He is a honorary Winchester at this point and I wouldn't feel right watching the character in a new show filled with strangers after watching the relationship he has with the brothers grow for four years. I don't think the character would survive the removal from the show.

The show does have a way of creating minor characters that are adored by fans so I trust them to give us a character in episode 20 to root for, and I will gladly follow them onto the spin-off. I just hope that the new show doesn't come at the expense of Supernatural, because I've grown to love the show and I'm both proud and sad to say that it's a part of my life now and I don't want to see it tarnished as it's reaching its climax. I'm sure the new show will open up a new World of stories for me, I trust Bob Singer and the crew to do so. 

On a side note, does anyone else think that it would be quite cool to resurrect the roadhouse gang and have them in the spin off? I mean, it'll probably tie cross overs together nicely too! I know it probably won't happen but a girl can dream! 


Well I guess all we can do till we find out more info is Live Long and Blog!

Suoernatural Is Back On Top

2 comments:

  1. I've often thought that when Supernatural ends the CW should give us a prequel. I think a show about the boys with their father pre Standford would be very interesting and fit right into CW's audience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a prequel would've worked well if the show had ended sooner, but now the guys are to old to play people in their late teens-early twenties and I don't think I could watch someone else portray the characters right now without comparing and wanting the original Supernatural back. I will go for a Bobby and Castiel spin-off, showing their exploits in heaven though!

      Delete