Labels

14/07/2013

Spock Vs. Spock



After watching Star Trek: Into Darkness for the fourth time I felt that I was qualified enough to go onto the message boards and discuss the film with fellow fans. I read something that really got to me, someone had said that they would never support Zachary Quinto, he would never be a good enough Spock, and that the character belongs to Leonard Nimoy. I’m assuming that this was an old, loyal fan of the Star Trek series, even if he/she was talking (writing) like a 13 your old child. I’m a fan of the old series, but I embrace the new one, I think its absolutely brilliant that its still Star Trek but has moved into the mainstream. I can watch the films openly with friends that weren’t interested in the franchise before, it renews interest in the original series.


There are several reasons why I enjoy the JJ Abrams films as much as the older ones, including the new take on classic storylines, however one of the most poignant reasons was Quinto. I had only known him from Heroes before, and although I believed that he was an amazing Syler (at least for the first series when he had decent material) when he was announced as the new Spock I wasn’t really convinced. But then I watched Star Trek (2009). And then Into Darkness. Then I was convinced. His nuanced performance as a half vulcan-half human, trying to find the balance in between was intriguing to watch, being a character that even Bones described as “cold” but then seeing his emotions seep out every now and then was riveting. An if you’ve watched Into Darkness then you can probably agree with me that his emotions, the pain and anger he expressed in the closing of the film was heartbreaking, the complete opposite of what a Vulcan would show. I think this switch alone shows just how perfect Quinto is in the role Spock.

Don’t flame me because I think Zachary Quinto is pretty amazing as Spock, I still love Leonard Nimoy’s performance. I’m not saying Quinto is better, but I think people need to keep in mind that Nimoy had 81 episodes and 6 films to make an impact. He was amazing throughout and its hard to pinpoint one spectacular performance because theres just so much material. And also, HE’S LEONARD - FREAKING - NIMOY! Of course he’s amazing,  he is probably the coolest dude in all the galaxies. I remember getting giddy every time he showed up in Fringe, I always needed some William Bell! This alone should probably make me biased towards Nimoy, but then its a curse too, he’s Leonard Nimoy. When I watch him as Spock, I see Spock, I see the gripping portrayal of the character but it’s hard for me not to go fangirl and think “Oh my God, it’s Leonard Nimoy!”. This is probably because i’ve only been alive 21 years so i’m a relatively new fan, and already been exposed to Nimoy’s awesomeness, it makes it hard to suspend disbelief. The coming of the new Star Trek put his character of Spock in perspective for me as I was able to look at them both side by side without getting bogged down by the legend that is Nimoy, and I felt that both were spectacular with their performances. I don’t think one was better than the other, and I know that Nimoy was the originator of the character but people really just need to accept Quinto in the role because, guess what? Nimoy has. Would he really really have chosen to star alongside him without giving Quinto his blessing? It’s not like he needs the cash, he’s semi-retired right now so he makes an exception for Star Trek, and like I said before the dudes a legend, if he accepts Quinto we all should.

But then again, this is all just my opinion. I don’t expect everyone to agree with me, so if you have any thoughts then feel free to sound off in the comments section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment