Labels

16/07/2013

Obsessions. How much is too much?



One day, a few years ago I was walking home from high-school on a gloomy autumn day. I don’t exactly know what made me turn to it, but I believe I was having a particularly bad day (teenage identity crisis of some sort). I had a light bulb moment and I knew that there was one thing only that could improve my mood. And I did it. I walked into the store and bought myself a few sachets of hot chocolate. I was also home alone, which infused me with a sense of cozy loneliness - the type that you long for after you've had the longest family dinner with your inquisitive relatives (that you wish never to have met, for that matter). And it happened so quickly. I was hooked. I became a junkie for hot chocolate. I drank my body weight in hot chocolate. I wished hot chocolate would run though the tap. This soon made me realize that my obsession, as delicious as it was, needed to come to an end. 


I don’t recall how I did it, but I managed to purify myself of hot chocolate after about ten days. Since then I haven’t fallen into the malicious charms of another obsession. Until two weeks ago. I was sitting in the garden with a few friends, talking about careers, the bombings in Norway and what not. On the table there were bottles of beer, cigarettes and an almost muted radio. I say almost muted because we were all too engulfed in the dialogue to pay any attention to it. And then I heard it, the beautiful melody. I don't know if my friends stopped talking or not, but for three minutes I swear I traveled away from that conversation. I couldn't see anything but the music, oh my god the music was divine.  It's peculiar how it just grabs you and throws you. I ought to be a filmmaker, yet I believe that music is the most powerful art form. I can't explain why, to me it work the best, it just turns my attention inwards. Somehow I forget other things exist apart from what is developing in my brain when I hear a song that really resonates with me.  And this song still sounds perfect to me, after the hundreds of times I have pressed replay.


 Do you know what that means? I am obsessed again. And not with this song only, but with the band's entire discography, and with the beautiful visual aesthetics of each of their videos. Up to the point where I wish there was a parallel universe in which people live in black and white and music exists by default, just as another dimension. 
I have to learn how to stop listening to them before they lose that magic. With each replay I feel like a junkie that's begging for the last dose ever, after which he'll come clean. 


PS: Enjoy this with a cup of hot chocolate.




Live long and blog!


No comments:

Post a Comment