Labels

29/07/2013

Cult: You Could've Actually Been Decent

Im a big fan of Cult TV shows. I tend to get hooked and spend hours a day obsessing over them, even when they do get really rubbish and don't make any sense. So when The CW announce Cult I didn't even need to know anything about it before watching it. 


I knew that it was in the works a few years ago, so I had hope that it would be good because the network had thought to revive it. Even after the bad casting choices for the leads (seriously, wooden actors from The Vampire Diaries and Melrose Place, I understand The CW want to be pretty but...) as I greatly admired the supporting cast. I could watch Robert Knepper eat and apple and be enthralled and I've loved Alona Tal since her days on Veronica Mars and Supernatural. Yes, I am a female and I did not raise my pitchfork to the character of Jo, I actually liked her. And the press release for the show that was released a little over a year ago seemed interesting. But then again I tend to be interested with anything involving murder. I watched The Following till the end.


"Investigative journalist Jeff Sefton has learned to laugh off his brother Nate's relentless string of obsessions, especially his latest rant that a hit TV show intends to harm him. However, when his brother mysteriously disappears, Jeff takes Nate's paranoia seriously, and in the process uncovers the dark underworld of the TV show "Cult" and its rabid fans. The only person who seems willing to help Jeff with his investigation is Skye, a young research assistant for "Cult," who has also started to grow suspicious of the increasingly dark happenings surrounding the show. The fictitious show, centered on the cat-and-mouse game between charismatic cult leader Billy Grimm and LAPD detective Kelly Collins, has become an obsession for its viewers - and now some of its devotees seem to be taking their fixation to deadly extremes in the real world. As Jeff and Skye dig deeper into the fan world, they discover that the gruesome plot twists on television are much more than fantasy for some very unfortunate people. The hardcore fans of "Cult" would kill to see what happens next... "
Source: CW

I didn't get passed episode three. I tried. I really really did but it was stupid and I was right about the miscast. I figure I'm not alone in this because the ratings were abysmal and it was cancelled and taken off of the schedule pretty swiftly. But then something happened. Summertime boredom. So I decided to finish watching the series, and I got really annoyed because it was a lost opportunity to make something great. Yes, I was initially interested in the idea of a show-within-a-show format, but that was before I knew how bad the show would be, and how the show-within-a-show would blow the actual show out of the water (I really hope that makes sense because it didn't really when I wrote it). The Cult show in the series, lets call it Cult 2 to avoid confusion, was the most interesting thing about the show! I couldn't care less about the investigation that Jeff and Skye seemed to get most of the screen time to explore. After every time the show cut away from Cult 2 I was pissed. I wanted the adventures of Billy and Kelly. THEY were what was interesting. I wanted to see more of this.


Not some people trying to find a writer, or whatever the hell they were doing. I can't tell you what happened with Jeff and Skye because I found it so hard to pay attention. I was always waiting for Cult 2 to pop up. It pains me reading comments from a year ago, with audiences excited about the show. Kind of like how passengers were excited to board the Titanic and you saw how that turned out. And the cancellation really does pain me because it could have been good. If the had stuck with Cult 2 instead of what they went for I think that they would have had a hit on their hands.

Cult will not Live Long and Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment