Labels

12/09/2013

Where Would We Be Without Technology?

Anyone watch Blackout on Channel 4 the other day? I'm all doom and gloom you see so I did and I loved it. I champion anything even remotely apocalyptic, seriously, I love to imagine how amazing I would be in our apocalyptic future (one way or another I do believe that the World will probably end up in ruins). I love zombie apocalypses, alien apocalypse and Planet Of The Apes will always have a significant place in my heart (perhaps I'm just against humans in general). Sure, some may not deem Blackout apocalyptic but I do. The docu-drama follows the lives of civilians during an electrical blackout in England, and like I said before I've experienced my fair share of apocalypses but it was down right scary. Because I think it is likely to happen.


My theory on the end of humanity was that apes and robots would get together and exterminate us all, I believed it was plausible and genuinely frightening. Zombies could happen too (animal testing gone wild, just admit it could happen!)but not as likely as the Ape/Robot coalition! But in light of recent events *cough* e.g. Obama and Syria *cough* It kind of hits home that humans are probably going to be the ones that end humanity. At least in Blackout there was a reason for it, you know, other than overthrowing a government without just cause just to gain yourself an ickle bit of power! Anyway, enough with the politics. The governments don't care about our opinions. Seriously though, I'm done talking about that. Back to Blackout.



Other films and television shows tend to document the lives of the characters a while after the (lets call it the event) event has happened. The Walking Dead, Falling Skies, Revolution and the turn of the milleniums Dark Angel all pick up months, in some instances years after said event has occured, we see the characters after they have already gone through their ordeal and become steeped in bad-assery. Blackout followed the immediate aftermath of the crisis and I think that aided in the realism of the docu-drama, I mean we got to see real and relateable people, and the audience can see themselves in the position of the characters which is frankly harrowing. Rick is badass in The Walking Dead but none of the audience could be deluded enough to think that they could go through the same experiences as him and still be that bad ass, most of us would crumble and cry (don't deny). Watching the show is basically like watching ourselves if we were in that position. Watching the range of emotions that the characters were going through (brilliantly acted by the way) whether it be fear, confidence, hope or paranoia was riveting and I felt myself feel the emotions along with the characters.

The characters are initially given hope, but as time wears on and England doesn't power back up it slips away and we see our citizens become messes, they turn on one another. Riots and looting (they probably took CCTV footage of our teens summer holiday from a couple of years ago), sacrifice and citizens turning on one another. I know its sad but that is probably what would happen. We have learned to rely way too much on technology that if we were to lose it humanity would fall into disarray, and I think the film was brilliant because it could happen, it gets people thinking and talking to one another on their reliance on technology. I reflected on my reliance on technology, I'm constantly on my phone and am on my computer for at least and hour a day and it's unhealthy. I have a break down everytime I'm parted with my technology for a few hours, how would I survive in this? It truly is terrifying.

So, a post that was supposed to be about a film turned into a jumbled mess of politics, over reliance on technology and self reflection. I hope I didn't bore you too much, but honestly I would recommend that you watch it.

Live Long and Blog! Apart from if we lose electricity. Damn. Better get a generator.

No comments:

Post a Comment