Labels

23/09/2013

Goodbye Dexter!

So, that's that. It's over. It took me a while to get my thoughts in order so I could write about it, but I'll attempt to. Dexter is now dunzo. Finito. Over. Gone. I sort of forget it was ending and because I haven't actually been that pleased with the show I figured that It wouldn't really have an impact on me or my unpredictable emotions, but it did. I guess it's time for me to say goodbye, but not without voicing my opinions about the finale. SPOILERS AHEAD!


I discussed before about how I feel that Dexter probably shouldn't have gone passed season 4 and I still support that theory. The season was a let down anyway, I mean Oliver Saxon was the best antagonist they could come up with for the finale? And there were way too many different storylines going on in the FINAL season, it should've all been about Dexter, yet this is the season they choose to give Jamie a storyline? Does she even matter? Well, I've discussed the shows failings enough, maybe I should stick to talking about the finale. First off, I'll say that it didn't feel like a series finale until about the last ten minutes, it just felt like another episode of Dexter and I didn't really have any strong emotions toward it.  I was getting kind of bored again which was happening way too often while watching Dexter for my liking. But in the last 10-20 minutes I think I went through an emotional roller-coaster. Let me back up a bit.



When the last season of Dexter was announced I'm sure all the fans had their ideal endings, me included. I'm almost certain that the fact I had an idea of what I wanted to happen may have sullied my experience in watching the show so the opinions I'm going to express may be a little bit biased. Well, watching Hannah escape at the end of last season made me believe that she would be the one to take Dexter down, whether it be by killing him or putting him on death row. Because I love a good anti-hero and I've grown quite attached to Dexter I ended up thinking that Dexter would sacrifice himself to take Hannah down, through death, death row or imprisonment, because I wanted to see him be a real hero for once. Him only killing bad guys didn't really count in my eyes because he was going to end up killing somebody, that was just his choice. Him taking down Hannah would finally make him a real hero, and perhaps him see that he is like everyone else, he is capable of good and he doesn't need to kill. It also brings Dexter to justice, I mean he's killed how many people now? And how many innocents have died because of his need? He has to face up to what he's done.

I guess he sort of did in the finale. He's completely alone now, whereas before he was surrounded by people who loved him even though he didn't know it. He may be alone but he's still living and free and can do whatever he wants. He could kill again if he wanted to, which I assume at some point he will because he's tried to turn away from it before but he always had the urge. He wasn't bought to justice, sure he knows what he's doing is bad but that's never stopped him before. I think he'll probably be even more dangerous now because he doesn't actually have anything to live for, he has no family or friends to keep him grounded, to make him feel. He will kill again. My Hannah idea didn't pan out, they were like love sick puppies the whole season and every time I saw them together on screen all I really saw was a wasted opportunity. Hannah going after Dexter would've been so much better than Oliver Saxon/Brain Surgeon who was a waste screen time. And seriously, Dexter left Harrison with her? The woman's unpredictable, Harrison's actually better off with him even with his homicidal tendencies, and Dexter's much better with Harrison.

Now, my main gripe with the episode. Deb. In my theory, I'd have Deb alive and raising Harrison, showering him with the love he deserves, and also teaching him how to curse up a storm. She is the moral compass in the show, sure she has done bad things but she did it because of love and she has paid for her actions. Even if her spiral was only for a short time, you could see her punishing herself. I didn't realise how important she was to the show until they killed her, and then I realised Dexter, both the character and show, were nothing without Deb. It kind of broke my heart when Dexter turned off the life support machine and cradled her (tremendous acting of Michael C. Hall's part), I couldn't believe they were really doing it. How could they kill someone who was essentially Dexters saviour, and someone who could be Harrison's too? I could live with Hannah raising the kid but Deb needed to be involved somehow!

I think that's my complaints over, now I'll mention a couple of the things that I enjoyed about the finale! I loved how Dexter ended up killing Oliver, granted this is purely because I thought it would lead to his arrest and he'd confess everything but for that enjoyable moment I think I can live with the disappointment. Another highlight of the episode was the phone call between Dexter and Harrison, it was so well acted and the dialogue, even though the basic "I love you" stuff, had me welling up. That's when I knew that yes, it's definitely the end. Dexter saying goodbye to his son, proof that he can love and care, forever. And lastly when he was sailing away on the boat with Deb. I purely love that because I thought he was going to kill himself as he had realised that the world is a better place without him. It was a kick in the teeth a few minutes later after discovering that that's not how it panned out. So yeah, in my eyes theres more bad than good in the finale. After reading what Clyde Phillips' idea was for the finale I think it would've been better to go for that. Maybe it would've been better if he had stayed as showrunner full stop. You can check it out here: 'Dexter' finale episode: Alternative ending revealed by ex-showrunner.

Even though I felt the show kind sucked towards the end it did hold a special place in my heart, as well as many others. The show lost its way a bit but it did give us some brilliant storylines and will be missed. Goodbye Dexter!

Live Long and Blog Guys!

Related Posts

Dexter Should've Ended At Season 4

No comments:

Post a Comment