Labels

04/09/2013

Benedict Cumberbatch Might Just Be In That Star Wars Film

*Just warning you, the picture used is kind of adorable*


I've never watched Star Wars. I've seen it, but never been so engrossed in it that I've watched it. This isn't the Star Trek fan in me that hates on Star Wars for no reason, I just couldn't really get into it, it's like marmite. Love or hate. I hate marmite. That being said I was probably going to watch the new one because J.J. Abrams is in charge, and for some reason I follow the man blindly (or try to, I hated Undercovers. I dropped out after two episodes). Well anyway, back to the actual point, the new Star Wars films. J.J. Abrams is one of those auteurs that likes to reuse his actors (I wish I was friends with that dude) so it comes as no surprise that one of the rumoured actors in contention for a villainous role in the flick is a familiar face, Mr Benedict Cumberbatch! It gives me another reason to watch the film but I still don't know how I feel about this.


I've become a fan of his over the past few months so seeing him landing roles that he deserves and would excel at is fantastic (means I get to see more of him) but I'm not sure I want to see him in this role. I'm not being biased just because I don't particularly like the series, It's just that he just played Khan in Into Darkness so I sort of don't like the idea of him signing on the play another villain (that's what I've read anyway) in another sci fi epic so soon after that wonderful portrayal. Looking over his filmography he's played a range of characters, all diverse and I feel that if he were to sign onto Star Wars he'd get typecast as a villainous character actor. The two blockbuster notches on his belt would have him starring as similar characters, Into Darkness was huge and everyone knows that Star Wars will be huge too, so those are the characters who he will be associated with.

Another negative for me is the fact it would be time consuming. If rumours are correct then Cumberbatch would have to sign onto multiple films and apparently he's already dropped out of some projects to be a part of the franchise. One of those films being Crimson Peak which is ridiculously frustrating, I mean I love J.J. Abrams but Guillermo Del Toro is a living legend. I would give up all my limbs to breathe the same air as him, he's just that great. From what I've read about Crimson Peak it seems intriguing and Del Toro makes his actors work and I would've loved to have seen Cumberbatch try and match up to Del Toro's genius! If this is the type of role Cumberbatch is having to give up for Star Wars, and will probably continue having to do so for the sequels then I'd rather he not be in it. I understand the appeal of joining a franchise, it's stable, you have a built in fan base and all that but I'd rather see him in interesting roles. Oh, and what will happen to Sherlock if he's locked down for several years? I need my fix!

So I've run through all the negatives, and honestly the only positive that I can think of is that he would be in a film that I will watch. That's not enough. Stay away Benedict! For the love of God! And beg Del Toro to take you back!!!!!!!! And also, if he does this it'll kiss my fantasy of him being Ant Man goodbye.

Live Long and Blog!

Related Posts

No comments:

Post a Comment