Labels

25/09/2013

How I Met Your Mother Returns! For The Last Time.

The end is near my friends, the final season of How I Met Your Mother has begun! The season of the mother! I'm not going to lie, I thought having another season was a bad idea, it's had a long run and is still funny at times but it's tired and worn out and you could see that through the prolonging of storylines which should've died a long time ago and the characters becoming less and less endearing. I also didn't really like the idea of them featuring the mother heavily. I mean, how can the mother live up to the person that they've described to us, the perfect person for Ted? Well, judging by the first episode I was both right and wrong. Spoilers ahead for the latest series




The Good

- The Mother. So I was wrong about the show featuring the mother, I can honestly say meeting her and getting to know her slowly was the highlight of the episode. She seems warm, loving and pretty adorable, someone that Ted needs in his life and we do see that they have much in common already. It also helps that she's already passed the Lily barrier before starting a relationship with Ted, because as the audience knows she was always the main obstacle in his long term relationships. She basically destroyed every one he had. As you can tell I'm not a fan of Lily, so it's nice to know that she won't be getting in the way of this relationship. And congrats to Christin Milioti, we're only one episode in and you've made me like the mother! Well done, I have trouble liking things.

- The flashforward/back/whatever you want to call it. It's nice that even though we don't get to see Ted's life with the mother even though we've spent years watching him trying to find her we will still get to see glimpses of their life together.

- Barneys maybe freakout. I think everyone that has watched How I Met Your Mother knows that Barney has a problem committing to a woman, and when I first started watching the show the last place I thought we'd see him was at the top of an aisle. Somehow he made it, and he credits his brothers relationship with his husband for making him believe in love. Can I get an "awwww"? Well, when the collapse of his brothers relationship is revealed it would be easy to assume that Barney would flip out and run away like he's done many times before, but it was lovely to see that he didn't. He now believes in love because he is in love. I think he's the character that has gone through the most growth throughout the run, yet he is still the loveable Barney. Excuse me I'm going to go "awwww" some more.

- James Stinson. Not going to elaborate, I just love it when this guy pops up.

I'm pretty sure this is going to be a cheesy "aww" filled season for me, but as of right now it's just the right amount.

The Bad

- Ted/Barney/Robin love triangle. Can they not put this to bed already? This is the reason that there are deluded fans praying that the mother dies and ted ends up with Robin. Seriously, the longer this goes on the more it devalues the relationship he will have with the mother, make it seem like a rebound. Just stop it. Also, it paints Ted in a terrible light, Barney's one of his best friends yet he still wants to be with his fiance, and I'm assuming will attempt to talk her round at some point this season. Ted gave them his blessing to date and get married, he should really just let it go. For main character on a show about a group of friends he's being a pretty crappy friend.

- Barneys maybe freakout. I know this is in the good section but Robins behaviour slaps it in the bad section. She just assumed he would get cold feet and leave which brings her underlying trust issues to the surface, the issues we saw her work through. Again rehashing old storylines. How much more do those two need to go through before Robin realises that Barney loves her and has changed for the better? I loved the engagement episode and I wished that her issues would be over.

- Marshalls road trip. Separating the characters in the final season? I figure Jason Segel is filming a movie or something and had to film his scenes at a different time, hence his own storyline on the side. He should be a part of the whole weekend as he is a major part of the group, and I know he gets there eventually but it kind of sucks. I looked it up and its about a 20 hour drive to New York for him, and as this season is spread out over the course of one weekend I'm pretty sure that he'll be on the road trip for several episodes. Sure, people initially watched the show to find out who the mother is but they stayed because of the friendships and interactions between the characters. How are they going to show that when Marshalls off on his own for half the season? Also, I hate the woman that he's on the road trip with, I would hitchhiker her ass.

- Lily. I loved her when the show first started but as time wore on she just grated on my nerves. Did no one else see that she became incredibly selfish? Or did I just not see that at the beginning? Well, when it's your best friends wedding weekend and you're about to fly off to Italy to live the dream you'd think you'd do all that you could to make that weekend special for your friend right? Especially because your moving to another country and it's probably one of the last times you'll be together. Well Lily decides to spend the weekend hammered. I have nothing more to add.

My theory

Every fan has their theories on how this season will pan out, and mine is kind of basic, obvious and I'm sure many fans have already thought about it. Well here goes:

- The mother will meet all the members of the gang and endear herself to them, although I'm assuming she's met Barney and Robin because she's part of the wedding band. Not sure how that will work out.

- When Marshall meets the mother he gives Lily the money as she has won the bet. Ted will not marry Robin.

- Ted will give Robin the locket and ask for one more chance and she will reject him. Again.

- Robin and Barney will get married.

- Ted will sulk at the wedding and is spotted by the mother in the last episode who comes by and introduces herself and he'll have puppy dog eyes. Think back to the time he saw Victoria, something like that anyway.

- Every episode we will have flashforwards/flashbacks to Ted and the Mother at the same hotel the year after the wedding. The finally episode will have a scene where Ted proposes to the mother which will occur just after he meets her in present day (the wedding).

- The mother stays alive and they have a long and happy future together with their children.

- Marshall hitchhikers that womans ass.

Well, those are my thoughts anyway, as you can see I didn't read too much into it. Anyways, I look forward to watching Ted and the mothers love story unfold. I've been waiting long enough.

Live Long and Blog!

Related Posts

Bye Bye Barney Stinson

No comments:

Post a Comment