Labels

10/09/2014

What Is Binge Watching?

So I read recently that watching three episodes of a television show is classed as binge watching, and because I'm all tech-savvy now I decided to tweet about it! I even learnt how to embed! EMBED! Granted, it's not actually that difficult but please allow me to have the small victories.
That isn't me being sarcastic, I could genuinely do that. I have genuinely done that. A sitcoms running time is around 20 minutes long, so I've gotten through three of them in an hour no problem so I don't see watching three episodes of a television show as binge watching. Binge watching usually ends up with us looking a bit like this:


Apart from the fact that we probably don't look that great to begin with, so in actual fact we'll end up looking worse. Over the course of this past Sunday and Monday I watched seventeen episodes of House Of Cards. Seventeen. That my friends is binge watching. I essentially watched over a years worth of television (I think the time frame the show covered was over a year anyway) in about thirty six hours. I watched what should have been weeks/months worth of tales of political corruption, sordid affairs, drug/alcohol abuse and murder within the space of two days! I did take a bit of a break though to watch some Harry Potter but I jumped straight into House Of Cards again as soon as I was done with that. The only reason I haven't finished it all off is because if I start again I won't stop and I can't function without sleep like I used to.



Deciding to watch the pilot episode of Supernatural before bed, then before you know it the alarms gone off while you're in the middle of watching 'Scarecrow' (episode 11) and you know you should really stop because you have to go to work but you can't! You've watched the episode at least seven times before but you can't just stop, you have to finish it. And then you have to finish the next one. And then you're late for work. That's binge watching, basically being in a trance due to a TV show, unable to pull away, being so engaged with it that you're willing to risk your job. Granted, the last bit is probably more a me thing rather than a binge-watchers thing, I had an uneasy relationship with punctuality anyway. According to one of my lecturers I had an uneasy relationship with commas as well, I kind of agree with him on that one and if you take a look around at some of the things I've posted then you probably will also.

I've pushed back a meeting with friends by seven hours because I was in the middle of a binge watch of Chuck so please don't say binge watching is three episodes. I find it offensive to my race! By that I don't mean Asians, I mean fellow film and television fans who love to veg out with Netflix all day and night. I can't be the only one who does this right? There has to be others out there that watch more than three episodes? Only watching three episodes is like only reading the blurb of a book, you aren't really reading the story it are you? You've barely scratched the surface! It's got to be more than three episodes! I say at least six! Please agree with me because if everyone else thinks binge watching is only three episodes then I'm going to feel a hell of a lot more dorky.

Anyway, rant over. I'm going to log back on to Netflix now (and probably fall asleep at work tomorrow) so live long and blog!


No comments:

Post a Comment