Labels

22/09/2014

So How Was What Remains?

So I've had an eventful weekend, I've pretty much been watching mini-series after mini-series. I'd like to say that it was time well spent, until I watched the last 20 minutes of What RemainsWhat Remains is show about a possible murder that aired on the BBC last year, and follows the lead detective Len Harper (played by Shameless' David Threlfall) as he tries to find out about the death of Melissa Young. Could it be a murder? And more importantly, why did no one notice she was dead?

          

The show strays a little from the regular 'whodunnit' storyline we get from detective dramas as the audience is unaware of how she died, it could of been an accident, nobody is certain, apart from Len's gut anyway. I feel that although the death of Melissa is the driving force of the show, it is about so much more. We get to explore the uneasy relationships with the characters living in the apartment building, including Kieron and his unruly son (I say unruly, I find him downright creepy), the abusive relationship between Peggy and Elaine (played by Indira Varma, I've honestly hated every character she's ever played) and let's not forget the trusted Joe who has a secret woman living with him. Initially the only somewhat normal characters within the show were Vidya and Michael (Russell Tovey, I wish he wasn't gay) and even they get sucked into the exploits of the neighbours.



All of these characters do seem quite self obsessed so is it really that strange that they didn't notice that a woman was missing? Melissa was literally lying dead in the attic for two years and not one of those people decided to check if there was anything wrong, Joe had a spare key for gods sake! Seeing the characters lives unfold on screen informs the audience that perhaps it's not that they didn't notice, it was because they preferred not having her there which is pretty much stated by Elaine. All the neighbours apart from Peggy and former no. 4 resident Richard Webb seemed to have an uneasy relationship with her, although all Melissa tried to do was be nice and comply with them. Peggy of course wouldn't have spoken out about it without permission but you figure maybe Richard might report it right? But of course no one did which makes them all suspects. Even if none of these people had murdered her and it was an accident they are all still guilty of neglecting and mentally abusing her.

It's a comment on todays society as no one cares for the lives of others, and we are all wrapped up in our own lives. In all honesty I probably wouldn't notice if I hadn't seen my neighbour in two years, does that make me an awful person? I believe that that is what made the show enjoyable was that these people aren't exactly likeable but the audience can relate to them and it made me question my actions, my way of life. It made me want to bake brownies and pop next door and give it to the man that essentially ruined my roller blading career. Of course I didn't, I don't like him, I'll be friendly with a different neighbour. My point is that as an exploration of society this is quite a good piece of television, and as a murder-mystery it also plays out well.

Every episode we get to explore the characters as well as their relationships with Melissa and most of them apart from Peggy and Richard had motive to kill her. In all honesty the motives weren't great, and the lovely Melissa should still be alive and well as she was clearly the nicest person in that building. Every episode was suspenseful and sprung new theories about what could've happened to her, and it kept me watching each episode. But then the last 20 minutes came along. The 20 minutes that ruined the show for me. It felt like the show had thrown away everything it had built itself up to be in the first 3 and a half episodes, it forgot that the show was about people and the exploration of society as well as the murder mystery and decided at the last minute to become a slasher film. It really lost all the momentum it had built up, and really let the show down. In all honestly I doubt I'll be watching it again, and I'd like to advise you that if you do decided to watch it then just turn off after the arrest. Please, don't let yourself live with the disappointment I have to live with.

Live Long and Blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment