Labels

03/11/2014

What Is Intruders About?

I'm still not sure, I've watched the first episode and I don't think that I understand fully whats going on. It's a real shame because when I watched the trailer I was instantly captivated, it didn't give a way too but thats the point of the trailer, it's supposed to tease you. I can't be the only one that fell in love with it can I? Sure I didn't know exactly what was going on other than the fact that in the world of the Intruders some people don't die, but I knew that John Simm and John Frain were in it and it was brought to us by one of the minds behind The X Files. That's more than enough to get me interested in a show that is about to premiere, so of course I set aside an hour to watch it. Now I'm not quite sure whether that was time well spent or not.


I like it when a television show makes me think, I don't think audiences should be spoon fed whats happening in the show. That being said the first episode of ANY show should be laying the groundwork for the events to come, the audience is supposed to be introduced to the characters and the main storyline. Thats the way that a show captures the audiences attention and gets them to return week after week. Intruders seems to be a lot more complicated that your average shows so it really needed to get the first episode just right, but it didn't. Like I said I'm still not quite sure about what's going on in the show.


I think I did manage to get the general gist of the show, spirits jump into other peoples bodies so that they can live for eternity right? The show opens with a young woman who has a spirit inside her and is being awakened by Richard Shepherd (James Frain) and whatever incarnation of Robert Forster that Robert Forster is playing in Intruders. The duo seem to be playing bad guys but I'm not too sure, what if these are evil spirits and they're trying to get to them before they wreak havoc? This opening would've been fine if we knew anything about the young woman/her spirit, but all we know is after the ordeal she slits her wrists and leaves a letter for a Gary Fischer. No explanation. I wish there had been something before this so I actually knew what was going on, rather than have the show start in the middle of the awakening. It took a little while to actually figure out what was actually going on with the woman, and it was made harder because the show never referenced her again.

The protagonist in the show is Jack Whelan (John Simm) who's wife, Amy (Mira Sorvino), has begun acting out of sorts and then disappeared on the way to seattle. The audience is aware that she has a spirit inside he because of her eyes dilating, and I think they should've thought of a better sign that the person was possessed than eyes dilating. Jack is a former cop so of course he put his detective hat on to find out what was going on, and thanks to Gary Fischer (yes, the one who the letter was addressed to) he will probably find out about the spirit possession because he's informed him of Richard Shepherd killing a mother and son to find their husband who knows about the possession. Or knows how to do it. Or has done it. I don't know. I also don't know who Gary Fischer is either but he's up to something.

So while the Jack is trying to hunt down his wife and will most likely uncover the truth in about 2-3 episodes we also get to meet Madison (Millie Brown), a nine year old girl who has the spirit of a man named Marcus inside which is awakened by Shepherd. The whole episode was quite lacklustre and dragged on quite a bit, apart from when Madison was on screen. Very rarely do we get to see child actors that are actually watchable, and them being good is even more rare. In the few short scenes Madison had in the show Millie Brown truly excelled. The audience could see the character turn a complete 180 when she went from Madison to Marcus and during the phone call with Marcus and Shepherd I got chills.

Millie Brown was a highlight in the first episode Intruders but in all honesty that doesn't take a lot. I really wanted to enjoy this show, it had so much going for it but the first episode was so slow and uninformative that I feel like I gained more information from the trailer. I'm in two minds about whether to carry on watching the show because I really do want it to pick up, but I fear that it won't. Will we find out what Shepherds end game is? Will Jack find his wife? Who the Heck is Marcus? Whats up with the number 9? Why are the birthdays so important? Do I actually trust this show to give me the answers? Do I care all that much? I'm not sure. Maybe I'll give it another shot in a few weeks time when nothing else is on, for now I'll abandon it. Just to forget about the disappointment.

Live Long and Blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment