Labels

06/10/2014

If You're In The US And Under 17 You Can't Watch A Film About Gay Activists. Seriously.

I'd like to start off this post by asking you to watch the trailer for Pride below.


What do you see? I see a lighthearted comedy thats based on Lesbian and Gay activists as they attempt to help a mining community. Its seems like it has likeable characters and will be a barrel of laughs and probably educate me as I had no idea that the LGBT society and the miners formed an alliance during the miners strike and I can't wait to watch the film. The film has been well received at the box office in the UK and generally gotten positive reviews yet the US censors believe that the film isn't appropriate for people under 17 and has rated it R.



I'll admit that I have yet to watch the film but I have been informed that there is some strong language and brief sexual content and in all honesty that doesn't warrant an R rating. They gave it the same rating as they gave films like Friday the 13th which feature a lot of sex, swearing and very graphic violence. How on Earth it Pride on the same level as that? Because the characters are gay. Yes, I'm being blunt but do you really think that if this film was about straight characters rather than homosexuals it would be rated R? Clearly I'm not the only person that feels this way as there has been quite an uproar about this. Ian Burrell who blasted the MPAA's move in the Guardian noted that they had also been quite harsh with the ratings of Love Is Strange and GBF even though they don't really feature much strong language or sex scenes. So basically if the film centres on homosexuals then the Motion Picture Association of America doesn't want people to watch it, even if it could educate people as Pride would.

First people don't seem to want homosexual actors in their films and now they don't even want people watching films that are about the plight of gay people? I'll openly say thats homophobic. I got attacked before because I spoke out but I don't really care. It's hard to believe that the US is a Western place in the 21st century because sometimes it feels like it's the middle ages. Maybe try and get your own house in order before invading others and trying to 'sort out' their societies (by that I mean invading and causing countless deaths for oil and other resources). Yes I know that Britain hardly stays out of it but I think the British governments are idiots as well. Getting a bit political but if they can't rate your movies properly and educate your youngsters then how are they the leaders of the free world? I know that not everyone feels the way of the censors or their government (I sure as hell don't) so I apologise, I don't intend on attacking you. Anyway, this move is ridiculous and homophobic. Fucking sort it. And I will not apologise for my language.

Live Long and Blog!

Related Posts

Is There A Place For Homosexuals In Cinema?

No comments:

Post a Comment