Labels

13/10/2014

How Good Was The Supernatural Season 10 Premiere?



If you haven't read past posts on this blog then you won't know that I am an avid watcher of Supernatural. I've been watching it for almost half my life and will be watching it until the day that J2 and Misha decide they've had enough. We all know that theres no way that The CW will be cancelling that show now it's made it ten years and still getting incredible ratings. I may be a fan of the show but I am not a blind one, I can admit when it hasn't been that great and it doesn't make me love the show any less it just makes me honest. The main story arc of seasons 1-5 was brilliant (apart from The CW heavy season 3) as Kripke had thought it out and structured it rather write the storyline week by week. It was very fluid and although there were some things that didn't quite pan out as a whole it was a good storyline. Following Kripke's departure there would obviously be a few teething issues, unfortunately those issues lasted throughout Gambles seasons 6 and 7 which I now refer to as the readjustment period. I feel that it has gotten back on track the past couple of seasons but will never be as good as it was in its peak but the one thing that Supernatural has never held back on is its season premieres. Until now.


I'm not saying that I wasn't excited throughout the whole 40 minutes, because I was. I thoroughly enjoyed it and loved seeing Sam, Dean, Castiel and Crowley back after almost four months without them on my screens. I was live tweeting throughout the whole episode and I think #Crowleyandsquirell is now my favourite hashtag. Ever. I've been thinking about the episode a lot since I first watched it and realised that it didn't feel like a Supernatural premiere, especially not one for something as special as season ten. It was a fine episode, I felt heartbroken and laughed a lot but comparing it to other premieres it just fell flat. Just take a look below:


Season Premiere
Events
Season 1
Sam and Dean teaming up to find their father, simple but introduced us to the series and made the audience fall in love.
Season 2
Sam and John dealing with the possibility of losing Dean, and Dean coming to terms with his death.
Season 3
Sam and Dean dealing with the fallout of Dean selling his soul to save Sam’s live and attempting to get out of the deal.
Season 4
Dean clawing his way out of Hell and finding Sam and Bobby to try and make sense of his escape. This is also the episode that we are introduced to Castiel who becomes a surrogate brother in the series (sorry Adam).
Season 5
The brothers dealing with the breaking of the last seal and the impending apocalypse. They attempt to track down Lucifer before he causes havoc as well as deal with Angels who are hoping for the distinction of humanity.
Season 6
Dean is attempting to live a normal life after Sam’s death but he just can’t escape the hunters life as the monsters track him down. Sam also returns, no soulless, with several of the Campbell family (which include Mitch Pileggi).
Season 7
After Castiel has collected souls he is sure that he has become the new God and becomes power drunk. Sam, Dean and Bobby attempt to stop him before the power he has can overcome him.
Season 8
Dean escapes from purgatory leaving Castiel behind and reteams with Sam as the look for Kevin (prophet) and the word of God which can close the gates of hell forever.
Season 9
Echoing season two, this time it is Sam who is at Deaths door (literally) and accepts his fate as Dean and Bobby attempt to intervene before he passes over.
Season 10
Sam is trying to find Dean while he is with Crowley who is trying to get him to accept his Demon fate. Theres also a lot of Karaoke.
I may be being a bit short with season 10 but I didn't know what else I could say, it just doesn't stack up to all the ones before it. That's not me attempting to find a criticism I'm just saying it like it is. I loved the episode as an episode but if this is the big episode that is supposed to kick of the events for the season that comes after it it just feels a bit lacklustre. I hope and pray that the episodes that follow are better than the first, and they should be as we have a musical coming up? Does anyone else agree with me? Or am I the only one that thinks this way? In all honesty, even if the episode had been horrendous I'd still keep watching.

Live Long and Blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment