Labels

24/04/2016

The Indian Doctor Leaves Me Wanting More

Full disclosure, the reason I am writing this post today is because I don't wanted be disappointed when googling recent posts about The Indian Doctor.



The Indian Doctor is not normally the type of drama I go for but I was absolutely enthralled by it. The premise was so simple, it followed Dr. Prem Sharma (Sanjeev Bhaskar) and his wife Karmini (Ayesha Dharker) who have left their home in India for a job in a Welsh village in the 1960s. The show explores the clash of cultures in the 60s between the couple and the citizens of the town that they are now inhibiting and how the public have to begrudgingly accept them into their community as the doctor is an integral member of it. In time the townsfolk grow to embrace them and their culture, not out of necessity but out of choice. The drama also portrays topical issues of the time including the health of miners, a small pox pandemic as well as property development threatening the town.

It's a nice break from the likes of Supernatural and The Walking Dead, I adore them but there is only so much action and heartache I can take. And anger, the is a limit to the anger (I'm looking at you TWD). With The Indian Doctor I can sit back and relax, watching the light drama play out in front of me. It's a show that keeps me on the edge of my seat or leaves me trying to dissect parts of it for a hidden meaning but that is what's so great about it, I don't have to put too much thought into everything that's happening but I still thoroughly enjoy the events that unfold before me. It's like my version of The Big Bang Theory, only this show is actually good. Don't get me wrong as it's not mindless by any means, it's actually quite the opposite. Although the show is set in the 1960s it's still quite relate-able to me as a person of colour living in the Western world. I may not have racial abuse hurled at me often but there has been some moments in my life when there has been tension due to the colour of my skin.

I remember first catching the first episode of the series on iPlayer in the Winter of 2010 and binge watching all the episodes that were on there. Then the first series ended and I heard nothing about it even though I did search for information. By search I mean I posted a message the IMDB asking if there was going to be more. I heard nothing about it for years and I forgot about it which is understandable as I do have a lot of shows to keep up with, the shows I so numerous that I have to have an app to keep up with it. I wouldn't have gained any news just in passing either, its a small town drama that is on during the day so it doesn't receive the mess of publicity prime time dramas do (although it should). All was silent on The Indian Doctor front until I signed up to Amazon Instant Video, which is probably one of the best decisions I've probably made. On there I found not just the first series, but a second and third! Bliss. I watched all three series but then it happened again. The nothingness.

This is one of the irritating things about British television. With US TV audiences seem to always be updated about whether a show has been cancelled or renewed as well as return dates, but unless the show is a juggernaut like Sherlock or Downton Abbey then we don't get that over here. I've searched and searched but there doesn't seem to be any news about whether it's coming back or not. To be fair there weren't many articles on it full stop. The third series aired in November 2013 and on the surface that may seem like an omen but this is British television so at times there are long breaks within shows. Maybe that's my denial talking.

If you haven't already watched the show I recommend you check it out, if you have and you have any information regarding a possible return then please let me know.

Live Long and Blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment