Labels

12/04/2016

How Marvelous Is Deadpool?


Every year we have more and more comic book films arriving in our cinemas and I believed that audiences were getting bored of them. I have in the past discussed my affliction with comic book movie fatigue and that remains unchanged. Yes, I still watch every film that Marvel releases but at a significant delay. Yes, I am prejudice against DC films but not because I'm in camp marvel but because their cinematic universe is affecting the television one, and also because they aren't actually at all good anymore. Apparently not everyone is fed up with the realm of comic book movies because when Deadpool was released everyone seemed to go nuts over it, and I know this will not be a popular opinion but I don't quite get it.

The character of Deadpool has already been depicted on film with the first solo Wolverine film and I would say that was poorly done but everything in that film was quite terrible, Deadpool's atrociousness didn't stand out from the rest of it. I feel for Ryan Reynolds as it seems like he loves the character and didn't get any satisfaction from playing the role in that film and you can see why, he wasn't exactly given much to do. I can also see why he loved being in the Deadpool movie this year because it was more true to the character and he got to flex his comedy muscles as well as do a lot of action sequences, who wouldn't enjoy it? I will admit that Deadpool was better in the 2016 film than he was in the 2009 X-Men Origins: Wolverine but stubbing my toe is better than that monstrosity.

I didn't hate Deadpool, I actually found it quite enjoyable, but I don't understand why it was seen to be such a ground breaking movement in the recent history of film. People applauded it for being different from other comic book movies, but was it really? One of the things that supposedly makes Deadpool stand out is that it featured crude adult humour which you wouldn't see in Marvel or DC films, but people seem to forget that humour is one of the things the Marvel Cinematic Universe is known for. The jokes are suitable for family viewing, but there are quite a few moments laden with innuendos and implications that made it through the censors, which adults find riotous and children won't understand. I will always love Joss Whedon for giving us the phrase "mewling quim" in a 12A movie and facing no repercussions. The humour in Deadpool was more obvious and outlandish, catering to a more adult audience, but I don't necessarily think that one liners about the preference of anal sex is needed to induce humour in a situation. I did laugh during the movie but I also appreciate the humour within Marvel films because of it's subtlety and the intelligent way they are placed in the script.


Deadpool is also noted for is its use of graphic violence, which again we have seen before. Apparently most people have already forgotten the Christopher Nolan/Christian Bale Batman series which was ridiculously violent for a film that was supposed to be appropriate for children. When watching The Dark Knight trilogy I never felt like I was watching a family film, I may not have seen mass amounts of blood spillage but it doesn't mean it was happening. Sometimes the implication of violence alone is enough on film, we don't always need to see the heads flying off and hitting the pedestrians in the face. Actually, I do need to see that. I really do.

When you take away the humour and the violence Deadpool is just your basic superhero origin film. The protagonist has some sort of experiment/accident, then he ends up feeling ostracised from society which fills him with rage and makes him yearn for revenge. While on his journey he gets the woman of his dreams, saves the day and becomes an unlikely hero. We've all seen this format many times over so no matter how much you believe Deadpool is different, it isn't. It's cut from the same cloth as all the other comic book adaptations, but I do understand the appeal and unexpected success of the movie which in theory should have limited appeal. He's an enjoyable character and the film has it's meta moments which lead to hilarity so I will most likely be watching the sequel when it comes out. Then again, by the time the sequel comes out cinema screens will probably be filled with super hero movies that are a tad crude and violent so I'll end up watching Deadpool at a delay. Like any other comic book movie that comes out.

Also, I loved the movies marketing strategy. It was truly brilliant. That is all.

Live Long and Blog!

Related Posts

AMC's Preacher Would Make Me Go To Church

No comments:

Post a Comment