Labels

12/07/2016

UnREAL: Addictive Behind The Scenes Drama

In my adolescence I ingested various different reality television series like Big Brother and I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here! but I've matured over time and that type of drama doesn't appeal to me, the only reality-eqsue show I watch avidly is The Apprentice. Due to this I found it surprising just how much I enjoyed UnREAL. First of all it's on Lifetime and in England the only exposure we usually get of their offerings is television films that are on weekdays on Channel 5. Nobody watches Channel 5. Secondly, it follows the cast and crew of a reality dating television show that is eerily similar to The Bachelor (so I've heard). Lifetime/Channel 5 and The Bachelor were never even on my radar, the closest I had ever gotten to a dating show was Beauty And The Geek, and even then it was just a few moments, yet UnREAL has become must see television for me.


The show follows Rachel Goldberg (Shiri Appleby) who is a producer on the fictional reality television show called Everlasting. Rachel previously had a breakdown whilst working on previous seasons of the show due to the pressure placed on her to create drama for the series, exposing the truth of what sane human beings already knew. Reality television is fiction. Rachel works under Quinn King (Constance Zimmer) and Chet Wilson (Craig Bierko) who are the executive producers and show runners of the series and has to deal with the demands from the two as well as their constant bickering and struggle for control. She works alongside (more like competing against) other producers including Jay (Jeffrey Bowyer-Chapman) as they each manage a group of contestants, manipulating them into following Quinn's story for the season, making them become a "villain" or "wifey" for the male suitor.
The show does explore the fascination of celebrity through the contestants, some (a small few) of them may be more innocent and really believe that they are their for love, but the majority of the characters know what the show is truly about. They want fame which makes them vulnerable to the manipulation of the crew, thinking that they are in control and able to control their image. The producers actions with the contestant have led to emotional and physical battery, full on break downs and even deaths of the contestants. Sure, the premise is simple enough but seeing the extremes that the producers and contestants go to is truly compelling to watch.

It isn't just the contestants on the show that garner my attention, but also the crew. They are committing heinous acts to further their own careers and they know it so we not only see the contestants break down but at times so do they. The show picks up after Rachel's descent after the realisation of what her life's work is, and season one sees her attempting to break the pattern by aligning with the suitor to work against Quinn's vision for the series. She tries to sabotage the show in part because she sees how it has ruined her life, but also because how it is toxic for all the others involved. After the events of season one even Jay has softened his approach to contestants, supporting and fighting for the contestants that are a part of his group. Watching Quinn and Chet's love/hate relationship with one another also makes me foam at the mouth, it feels like a soapy drama but far more enjoyable.

The characters on the series aren't one note, the writers manage to create depth with the main characters even though there is a large cast. They peel back layers of the characters with every episode showing the audience that all is not what it seems, mirroring the reality show that they are producing. The writers can make the character seem villainous, or at least have the traits of one, and make the audience detest the character and believe that there is no redemption for them. Then it only takes one scene for them to make the audience turn. This also works in reverse which I've witnessed recently with Jeremy (Josh Kelly) who I thought was dull but a morally correct character that would pull himself out of the mess but now I don't know how I can ever root for him again.

UnREAL is a back stabbing drama but it is laced with comedy throughout the series which is a major factor in what makes the show successful. If there was constant drama then the show wouldn't be as pleasant to watch, there are dark moments within the show so we need the lighter and uplifting moments. The series isn't full of laughs and on-going jokes but the humour is seeded through the show through the use of comic character and/or events. An example of this is early in season two when Chet is attempting his take over of the show by setting up dates and trying to "produce" the women. I'm not a fan of misogyny but seeing the outfits and the completely unromantic dates that are his brain children made me chuckle. A lot. Loudly.

For a show with such a seemingly simple premise there is so much to UnREAL, I binged watched the first season and that wasn't enough for me. I now have to revert to watching episodes on a weekly basis, those episodes keeping me at the edge of my seat throughout and having me curse at the screen when it ends. It shouldn't just be must see television for me, it should be must see for everyone.

Live Long and Blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment